A quick blog to show you some links that I found.
The bureau of land management put out a PDF showing their climbing handbook. Let me know what you think as an overview for the beginner. http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/wo/Information_Resources_Management/policy/im_attachments/2006.Par.79069.File.dat/im2006-078attach1.pdf
Tower climbing safety is very important, obviously. So make sure you know about all the training available. Here are a few links that may help get you started. Let me know if you want me to add more.
- You probably know about Comtrain, http://www.comtrainusa.com/safety-courses.php
- RF Safety Training, http://www.rfsafetytraining.com/
- Do you know that OSHA has a 10 hour course that would be good for all climbers to have? The 10 hour class is for construction, but tower work really is an extension of construction, https://www.osha.gov/dte/outreach/. I think it would be a good idea to ask your company to look into this.
- Do you carry a NARDA? This is something most climbers overlook, the RF radiation poses a risk as well, and they are made for different frequency ranges, look at http://www.narda-sts.us/pdf_files/General/RF-SafetyTraining.pdf for more information.
- Tessco put out some helpful hints, look at http://www.tessco.com/yts/knowledge_center/su/six_biggest_tower_climbing_mistakes.html,.
- Also, try to get First Aid and CPR training, all companies should offer his to field works that work remote like most climbers do. I think that CPR and First Aid training should be mandatory! Red Cross offers this, http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class.
A few YouTube videos have been made. Just make sure you always tie off when watching these;
- Pacific Rigger climbing down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzYOGEWH-cw
- Gearing up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwfJ251t8TQ
- Set to music but it goes over some safety gear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXVUMBICjXI
Don’t forget to follow this blog!
Social Media sites:
www.wade4wireless.com for my blog.
I truly enjoy your work , Great post.
I noticed that it’s hard to find your blog in google, i found it on 24th spot, you should get some quality backlinks to rank it in google and increase traffic. I had the same problem with my site, your should search in google for – insane google ranking boost – it helped me a lot
[…] Tower climber Wade has posted a new blog with plenty of helpful links and videos for tower climbers. […]
RCR – Thank you for posting this!