I am going to sit on a panel at the FCC and DOL Tower Safety Workshop. I am looking forward to it and if you want to know more go here.
The FCC asked me for some information so I sent them a compilation of posts I have done over the past few years. Here is the list that I sent them.
- Money is an issue in the tower climber business. Most companies are small because they have trouble keeping work, money is a very important issue in this business and when people don’t get paid it ripples down to safety. The turf model of hiring contractors needs to be better regulated, in my opinion. I did a post on what the tower climbers are really worried about. This particular post was very popular and I got a lot of feedback from dozens of anonymous climbers who agreed with it but would not let me share their names. Everyone will talk but not if they have to go public.https://wade4wireless.com/2015/09/16/tower-climbers-real-1-problem/
- I came up with an idea for end to end safety with the safety audit. By the way, one of my lowest viewed blog posts, meaning no one really cared to look at it. Safety Audit –https://wade4wireless.com/2015/05/29/end-to-end-safety-the-site-safety-audit/
- I also came out with an idea for all the participants to help, like the tower owners and all parties, again, not well received in the industry and I can give you many reasons why, high on the list is money and liability. Plan for saving lives –https://wade4wireless.com/2014/03/12/follow-my-plan-and-save-tower-climbers-lives/
- Here were my OSHA RFQ Responses which did OK on the views,https://wade4wireless.com/2015/04/22/osha-rfi-questions-for-tower-climbers/
- I did a post on whether the tower industry could police itself which was well received by my readers.https://wade4wireless.com/2015/01/07/will-the-tower-industry-police-itself/
- I got many comments from climber that responded to the industry policing itself.
- Comments from Tower Climbers –https://wade4wireless.com/2015/02/07/feedback-part-1-of-2-from-will-the-tower-industry-police-itself/
- More comments from climbers –https://wade4wireless.com/2015/02/07/feedback-part-2-from-will-the-tower-industry-police-itself/
- And I got feedback on the feedback! https://wade4wireless.com/2015/02/13/feedback-from-feedback-about-policing-the-industry/
- Ideas for proving that you have the proper certifications that are not out of date –https://wade4wireless.com/2015/11/05/prove-youre-certified/
- Responsibility poll https://wade4wireless.com/2013/12/26/responsibility-poll-results/
- I got the firsthand update on Ernie Jones, here is what I have on that and I think it may help, although I could not put all the details in it. It was well received by my readers.https://wade4wireless.com/2015/11/16/what-happened-to-ernie/
- Are schedules killing the workers? https://wade4wireless.com/2014/11/18/are-work-schedules-killing-the-wireless-field-worker-yes/
- Are tower injuries the price of doing business? https://wade4wireless.com/2014/11/09/tower-injuries-is-this-the-price-of-doing-business/
- RF is a hazard
- Let’s not forget the hazard of ticks
- Drugs in the industry https://wade4wireless.com/2014/08/27/drugs-morons-and-steel/
- Climber’s gear https://wade4wireless.com/2013/12/01/wireless-field-worker-how-is-your-gear/
- There are many unsafe towers out there so we have an unofficial unsafe towers database, but even this is causing problems because owners are angry about the list. However, let me tell you, American Tower and Crown appreciate being told about tower problems and they are very quick to address them.https://wade4wireless.com/2014/09/13/report-the-unsafe-towers-in-a-public-database/
My IWCE presentation on YouTube about Tower Climber Safety. If you want the PowerPoint slides, just ask. I presented this in early 2015 at IWCE.
Tower climber risks:
Injured Tower climber Support
OSHA is asking for public comment on Safety and Management,
Purchase the Wireless Deployment Handbook eBook that covers professional carrier end to end deployment of LTE small cells, CRAN, and DAS to show you the proper way to plan for deployment then execute, planning and action without the mistake
Give to the Hubble Foundation because if you don’t help these families, who will? Who supports Hubble? The wireless workers and the tower climbers, that’s who! With no support from the carriers or NATE, so it’s up to you! What if it were you? Would you want help? Who would help you if you were hurt? Who would help your family, your spouse, your children if something happened to you? Do you see the people who are hurt?